The Postgraduate Students’ Union (PSU) at the University of Limerick is the dedicated Union for the postgraduate community. With over 3,000 postgraduate students the PSU represents and defends the interests of postgraduate students of the University of Limerick on departmental, faculty, university and other committees.
TITLE OF POST: Secretary-General
LOCATION: University of Limerick Postgraduate Students’ Union
REPORT TO: TheULPSU President and accountable to all ULPSU officers, Executive & Council
CONTRACT TYPE: Permanent Part-Time (19 hours a week)
SALARY SCALE: €13,620 – €15,217 p.a.
Job description, duties, and responsibilities:
This is a permanent part-time position within the University of Limerick Postgraduate Students’ Union. The Secretary-General is the principal administrator of the University of Limerick Postgraduate Students’ Union (ULPSU). The ULPSU is a system of student government, which seeks to promote and protect the interests, values and economic well-being of over 3,000 postgraduate students at the University of Limerick.
The Secretary-General will provide support and direction to elected student officers in organising events, sorting out student problems and representing postgraduate students during their terms of office along with managing the affairs and growth the ULPSU in the long- term.
- Provide effective advice, direction and support to elected student officers in the execution of their roles and goals
- Provide institutional knowledge to elected student officers in terms of both UL and ULPSU institutional policies, practises and personnel
- Manage the affairs and growth of the ULPSU in line with postgraduate student growth at the University of Limerick
- Manage the student officers’ diaries in relation to organising their commitments to University committee meetings
- Build and maintain professional working relationships with other divisions and departments within UL and with affiliate partners of UL
- Ensure that the ULPSU and its elected officers operate within the remit of the ULPSU Constitution, relevant Job Descriptions and Sabbatical Officer Agreement(s)
- Understand the political nature of the ULPSU and aspire to celebrate same through the adherence to the ULPSU Constitution
- Maintain ULPSU premises in good working order ensuring offices and facilities are fully stocked and operational at all times
- Support elected officers in the management of Union finances by ensuring an annual budget is prepared, bookkeeping is maintained in relation to all purchases and expenditures and, through the Union’s accountant, present an up-t0-date end-of-year financial report to UL Finance Department
- Notify relevant University bodies of pertinent changes to the Constitution of the Union and results of Union elections and providing any assistance thereto
- Enthusiasm for working with and supporting students, constantly striving to offer excellent and unwavering service when necessary
- Availability to operate outside of core office hours occasionally
- Process applications for student financial assistance funds on behalf of the ULPSU and attend appropriate committee meetings
- Remain politically impartial i.e. adhere to the principle of political independence associated within any Civil Service and Secretary-General within a political organisation e.g. the ULPSU Secretary-General is precluded from sitting on ULPSU Executive and Council
- Provide continuity within the Union during elected representative changeovers
- Ensure the Union meets its current responsibilities to the University in relation to the promotion of the student experience and campus community
- In collaboration with ULPSU Sabbatical Officers, Executive, Council and Public Relations team, update the Union website, put up relevant posts on the social media platforms & review media contents
- Present a report every month to the ULPSU Executive and Council with explicit & implicit details of work completed and/or as specified by the President and Vice President.
- 3rd level qualification
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a similar role
- Excellent organisational and inter-personal skills with strong attention to detail
- Bookkeeping and Accounting Experience, MicrosoftSuite and Computer Proficiency, Smart Telephone Manner and Internet Savvy
- Be proactive, full of ideas and evidence of the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse community of people.
- An excellent team player, with a willingness to be flexible & collegial.
- Experience in an administrative role in a professional body and/or students’ Union/ tertiary institution/ postgraduate training environment
- Experience of using social media in a professional capacity
- Aptitude for working with various IT systems e.g. Webinar Software and LMS Moodle and Sulis platforms
- Experience using video and editing tools an advantage
- An interest in e-learning with a willingness to develop further in this area
How to Apply
Please send your Application Letter and CV to email@example.com by 12 noon on August 7, 2020,
subject line ULPSU Secretary General
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org