The PSU can offer financial support through two funds; Hardship Fund and the Childcare Bursary. We can also offer support in applying for the SAF (Students’ Assistance Fund). If you would like to discuss any of these supports, please just drop in or make an appointment to speak with me in the PSU office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
In keeping with the University of Limerick, as well as the Irish Revenue’s record keeping policy, we retain all applications, records and documents for six years. They are stored to comply with GDPR regulations. If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact us on email@example.com
Financial assistance supports available are listed below.
Financial Aid (formerly Hardship Fund):
For unforeseen expenses, please arrange an appointment with PSU to discuss further.
Forms now available from the ULPSU office. Closing date for application is week 5 of semester 1 and semester 2.
Student Assistance Fund:
The Student Assistance Fund (SAF) is funded by the Irish Government and part funded by the European Social Fund (ESF).
OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE OF THE FUND
The objective of the Fund is to provide financial support to full-time undergraduate or postgraduate students in need of such support. The fund is intended to support students whose participation in higher education would otherwise be at risk as a direct result of financial difficulties.
The fund is designed to support students from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds with on-going needs for financial support. The fund also supports students who are experiencing difficulty in meeting the day-to-day expenses associated with attending college, or who encounter unforeseen circumstances resulting in short or longer-term financial difficulties, (e.g., family difficulties, bereavement, accidents or health problems).
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY TO THE FUND?
Application to the fund is open to full time registered students on courses of not less than one year’s duration leading to an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification.
THE FUND IS NOT OPEN TO THE FOLLOWING:
• Students on part-time courses.
• Students on full-time courses that do not lead to an undergraduate qualification, such as Foundation or Access courses.
• International students are not eligible for the SAF and are advised to contact the International Office if in need of financial support.
• Non UL Erasmus students are not eligible for the Student Assistance Fund and are advised to contact their own institution if in need of financial support.
• Students who are supported through the Access Office i.e. students who have entered UL through the HEAR entry route or the Access to University Course should contact firstname.lastname@example.org
SAF Application forms are available from October 1, 2019 on:
Documentation supporting a student’s application will be required.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: November 28, 2019 @ 16:00
Postgraduate students may get financial assistance under the Student Grant Scheme with the cost of tuition fees for approved postgraduate courses at the University of Limerick.
Applicants may qualify for either;
1. €2,000 tuition fee contribution, if the student passes a fee contribution means test.
2. Full tuition fees paid including mandatory field trips (up to the value of €6,270), if the student meets the qualifying conditions for the special rate of grant for disadvantaged students.
To qualify for assistance under the Student Grant Scheme the student must also meet the criteria for nationality and immigration status, and residency.
Further information regarding SUSI is available here.
The University of Limerick is offering taught postgraduate scholarships to potential applicants for the 2019/20 academic year. The value of each scholarship is €2,000. The successful candidates will receive the scholarship in the form of a reduced fee. The Scholarships will be allocated by the faculties on the basis of financial need and personal statement from the applicants. – See more here.
Further information available here.
Bank of Ireland Postgrad Loan:
The Bank of Ireland now offer potgrad loans* which cover more than the cost of fees. Contact Michael O’Meara for more details. Michael.O’Meara@boi.com / 061 371 614
*Terms and conditions apply